Additional Applicant Eligibility
All student applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The student applicant must be a resident of California.
- The applicant must possess a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0.
- Two letters of recommendation must accompany the application from separate individuals, neither of whom are related to the applicant (one recommendation must be an endorsement from a SAN member and the other from a teacher, counselor, or school administrator), and
- The applicant must demonstrate commitment to the Nigerian community in a written personal statement.
Selection of Scholarship Recipients
SANNEMF’s Scholarship Selection Committee will make awards based on the recipient’s demonstrated commitment to the Nigerian community, abilities, academic achievements, career goals, civic activities, and leadership skills. All applicants will be notified by mail of the status of their application by October 30, 2021, regardless of outcome.
SANNEMF does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national and ethnic origin, or disability.
Please provide a written statement that does not exceed 2 standard letter-sized pages in total length. Put your own name and that of your school on the top of each page. If you use a computer to draft your document, please use a 12-point font throughout, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins. Please address each of the following questions:
- The applicant must demonstrate commitment to the Nigerian community in this personal statement.
- How have you contributed to your community in the areas of diversity, leadership and service?
- What offices and positions of leadership have you held in class and school organizations?
- What academic achievements are you proud of?
- What are your career and/or educational goals?
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
Please submit two letters of recommendation that have been written within the last three (3) months. The letters must clearly refer to you by name and provide comments that describe your character and abilities. A parent or close relative will not be considered a valid reference. The name, occupation, and contact information for each author must appear on the letters.
I understand that late or incomplete applications will not be considered. My ability to accurately follow instructions will be considered during the selection process.
I hereby authorize SANNEMF to utilize information on my application and any photos that I provide for publicity or public relations purposes.
I certify that all of the information on this application is true and complete to the best of my knowledge and that I will forfeit my award if any information that I provide is found to be deliberately false, inaccurate, or misleading.
_________________________ _______________________ ________________
Name of applicant (please print) Signature Date
Please make a copy of your completed application for your records. Please include all the following items:
- Original signed application form
- Official transcripts
- Your personal statement
- Two (2) letters of recommendation
- A brief biography to include your hometown, college, major, career goals, hobbies, etc.
All materials, including your transcripts, must be addressed to SAN’s headquarters:
Attn: SAN Scholarship Committee
P. O. Box 687
Sacramento, CA 95812
Deadline: Application and materials must be postmarked by September 15, 2021.
An incomplete application will not be considered.
SANNEMF strives to effectively promote the scholarship program. Please let us know how you heard about our program by checking one or more of the following.