Sacramento Association of Nigerians Newton Ekpo Memorial Scholarship
Application Deadline: August 19, 2016
The Sacramento Association of Nigerians Newton Ekpo Memorial Fund (SANNEMF) supports and advances the awareness of Nigerian issues through education and outreach. The Fund will award one $1,000 scholarship and two $500 scholarships to selected students who will be attending college during the 2016-17 academic year. The scholarships given are based on the availability of funds. The scholarship awards may be paid on the student’s behalf to the institution of higher learning where the student will be enrolled. Scholarship funds may not be paid directly to the student. Beginning this year, previous recipients are not eligible.
In support of SAN’s mission and goals, SAN encourages applications from students who have Nigerian or African ancestry.
All student applicants must meet the following criteria:
- The student applicant must be a resident of California;
- The applicant must be a high school student in his/her final year who will be attending college;
- The applicant must possess a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0;
- Two letters of recommendation must accompany the application from separate individuals, neither of whom are related to the applicant (one recommendation must be an endorsement from a SAN member and the other from a teacher, counselor or school administrator), and;
- The applicant must demonstrate commitment to the Nigerian community in a written personal statement.
SELECTION OF SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS
SANNEMF’s Scholarship Selection Committee will make awards based on the recipient’s demonstrated commitment to the Nigerian community, abilities, academic achievements, career goals, civic activities, and leadership skills. All applicants will be notified by mail of the status of their application by September 30, 2016, regardless of outcome.
SANNEMF does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national and ethnic origin, or disability.